Round 3 of 80’s Music Trivia
Aerosmith made a huge comeback in the 80’s with their own cover of “Walk This Way” with Run DMC. Billy Idol’s “Mony Mony” and Tiffany’s “I Think We’re Alone Now” became Top 10 hits for second time when they covered hits from the 1960’s. So how well do you know your 80’s music trivia? Who sang it first? Who brought the 80’s hit back to our time? Today we’re going to check your 80’s music trivia skills and see if you remember some of the biggest hits in music history.
SIX MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS (no peeking…answers are at the end of the quiz)
1. Which song written by Lionel Richie and later recorded by him was a #1 song for Kenny Rogers in 1980? A) “The Gambler” B) “Lady C) “Endless Love” D) “Easy” E) “I Don’t Need You”
2. The lead single to “Purple Rain” was Prince’s #1 hit, “When Doves Cry”. Which of these artists have NOT covered “When Doves Cry”? A) Ginuwine B) R. Kelly C) Patti Smith D) Barenaked Ladies E) Guy Sebastian
3. Club Nouveau released a funky hip hop version of the 70’s soul classic, “Lean On Me” on their “Life, Love, and Pain” album. Which 70’s icon originally recorded “Lean On Me”? A) Al Green B) Marvin Gaye C) Bill Withers D) The O’Jays E) Teddy Pendergrass
4. The Go-Go’s hit “Our Lips Are Sealed” was written by guitarist Jane Wiedlin and a male singer named Terry Hall who were both in a New Wave group called The Specials. Both the Go-Go’s and Terry’s band released a version of the song on their debut albums. What was the name of Terry’s “happy” band? A) Madness B) Bananarama C) Shiny Happy People D) Smiley Faces and the Doctor of Gloom E) Fun Boy Three
5. Depeche Mode and Johnny Cash? Which song by Depeche Mode did Johnny Cash cover on his American IV: The Man Comes Around album? A) People Are People B) Policy Of Truth C) Hurt D) Personal Jesus E) World In My Eyes
6. George Michael broke out in the 80’s as a superstar of his own but which song by Queen did he sing (and release as a single) at the Freddy Mercury Tribute concert? A) Somebody To Love B) We Are The Champions C) Bohemian Rhapsody D) Killer Queen E) Crazy Little Thing Called Love
How did you do?
A perfect score of 6 right puts you into the Elite Music Master level.
4 or 5 right = 80’s music all-star!
3 right = That’s 50% percent…..we’re grading on a curve so you passed.
2 or less right = time to put down your Bartles and James wine coolers.
ANSWERS: 1. B (Lady) “Endless Love” was recorded by Kenny and Sheena Easton but never went to #1 2. B (R. Kelly never recorded “When Doves Cry” 3. C (Bill Withers) 4. E (Fun Boy Three) 5. D (Personal Jesus) 6. A (Somebody To Love)