Summer vacation’s over……teachers are setting up their classrooms and prepping for another crazy year! Parents can’t wait to have some quiet time at home and students are anxious and excited about what’s the new school year will bring. Let’s countdown the Back To School Top 10 song list:
Honorable Mention: Graduate (Third Eye Blind) and Schools Out (Alice Cooper) don’t qualify since they’re about the end of the school year. Jeremy (Pearl Jam) is a haunting reminder of teenage bullying. Teacher Teacher (38 Special), and ABC (The Jackson Five)
10. “Principal’s Office” Young MC That first school referral and that dreaded visit to the principal’s office is a rite of back to school week.
9. “Rock and Roll High School” The Ramones Don’t we all wish our high school could be this cool! Punk rock classic.
8. “School Days” Chuck Berry All the way to the early days of rock n’ roll!
7. (TIE) “Don’t Stand So Close To Me” The Police and “Hot For Teacher” Van Halen Might not be politically correct, but student crushes on their new teacher happen every year!
9. “Smoking In The Boys Room” Motley Crue Originally recorded by Brownsville Station, probably the reason why Song #10 came true.
5. Be True To Your School” The Beach Boys Cheerleaders, pep rallies, and school spirit on full display
4. “Wonderful World” Sam Cooke” Don’t know about history, don’t know much about biology, don’t know much about a science book….” That’s why you’re headed back to school!
3. “To Sir With Love” Lulu A sentimental favorite from the 1960’s. Many teachers become role models, close friends, and impact their students’ lives in so many substantial ways.
2. “Another Brick In The Wall 2” Pink Floyd An indictment of the school system? A call to arms to change education? Not sure if their argument is solid with those back-to-back double negatives – “We don’t need no education, we don’t need no thought control”
1. “WAKE UP EVERYBODY” Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes A great teacher can literally change the world. Teddy Pendergrass pleads with us to make our school’s great again and help our children reach all of their goals and dreams.