The fifth CD in the series, Punk Goes Pop! will be released on November 6th. If you haven’t heard of the series, the album concept is very simple, take the pop songs that have played to death on the radio and let a young and upcoming modern punk band take a shot at reinventing the song. Usually you get versions that are a lot faster, harder guitar riffs, and the attitude of the song gets amplified big time. Perfect example is Mayday Parade’s new cover of the Goyte smash from this summer. A dubstep version of “Billie Jean” by Breathe Carolina is another highlight.
“SOMEONE THAT I USED TO KNOW” MAYDAY PARADE
1. Memphis May Fire – “Grenade” (Bruno Mars)
2. Upon This Dawning – “Call Me Maybe” (Carly Rae Jepsen)
3. Mayday Parade (feat. Vic Fuentes of Pierce the Veil) – “Somebody That I Used to Know” (Gotye feat. Kimbra)
4. We Came as Romans – “Glad You Came” (The Wanted)
5. Like Moths to Flames – “Some Nights” (fun.)
6. Breathe Carolina – “Billie Jean” (Michael Jackson)
7. Forever the Sickest Kids – “We Found Love” (Rihanna feat. Calvin Harris)
8. Issues – “Boyfriend” (Justin Bieber)
9. The Maine (feat. Adam Lazzara of Taking Back Sunday) – “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” (Cyndi Lauper)
10. Crown the Empire – “Payphone” (Maroon 5 feat. Wiz Khalifa)
11. Crown the Empire – “Paradise” (Coldplay)
12. The Word Alive – “Mercy” (Kanye West feat. Big Sean, Pusha T, and 2 Chainz)
13. Secrets – “Ass Back Home” (Gym Class Heroes feat. Neon Hitch)
Click my link for a previous posting where I highlighted Silverstein’s cover of the OneRepublic #1 smash, Apologize. This is easily my favorite song ever from Pop Goes Punk series.
“BAD ROMANCE” ARTIST VS POET
Lady Gaga’s pop gem gets the makeover for a Dallas, TX pop punk band named Artist Vs Poet. Their lead singer, Joe Kirkland, is currently on this season of NBC’s The Voice. “Bad Romance” has been covered by bands like 30 Seconds To Mars, Lissie, and even Courtney Love, but this is probably my favorite version for the hard rock edge they bring to it.