Taking a look at the Billboard Hot 100 for 2012, you notice dance music has again taken over the pop charts. Two of the leading electronic dance music artists this year are Swedish House Mafia and Aviici, both hail from Sweden. Led me to thinking, who are some of the other biggest Swedish artists of all-time? When you see the top 5 bands, you’ll see a familiar pattern. Each utilizes a simple pop music formula: get a wonderfully contagious chorus, add in lyrics that neither challenge or upset any listeners, and combine it with an immediately recognizable bouncy, high energy dance beat. Artists just missing the Top 5 list of Swedes were: The Hives, Neneh Cherry, The Cardigans, and Eric Prydz.
5. ROBYN – “Show Me Love” in the 90’s and “Dancing On My Own” in the 2000’s were both Top 10 smash hits.
4. ACE OF BASE – 50 Million record sales worldwide, 3 #1 singles on their debut album!
3. EUROPE – Sold less records than Ace Of Base but left their mark on the glam metal scene and you can’t listen to a football game and not hear “The Final Countdown”
2. ROXETTE – 70 million records sold, 3 Albums that went #1 world-wide, “The Look”, “Dangerous”, “Listen To Your Heart”, “It Must Have Been Love”, “Joyride”…..
1. ABBA – Was there ever any doubt who would be #1? 370 million records sold, the foursome epitomizes Swedish pop music internationally. Agnetha, Bjorn, Bennie, and Anni-Frid’s initials formed the band’s name and in their short 10 year career became one of the all-time biggest selling artists in music history.